Thursday, March 16, 2006

Fix Broken Headphones

The other day I decided to take a stab at fixing a pair of headphones that no longer played in stereo (only the right channel played sound). I had tried fixing headphones many years ago, with no luck, so I decided to do some searching on the web to see how successful others were at attempting this. What i found was many failed attempts, and eplained below is my theory on why there has been so little success.

I think the biggest problem is soldering the wires. Headphone wires have three micro wires housed in a rubber cable, and each one of these micro wires is also insulated (this is where most go wrong) these very fine coloured wires are coated with a thin film that must be stripped off before soldering. I found the best way to do this, is to burn off the coloured insulated coating with a soldering gun, and then gob some solder on the tip of the wire to create a good connection for connecting to either the headphone or the stereo plug (depending on which end of the headphones you are trying to fix).

Leave a comment below on your experience of trying to fix headphones

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home